My hope is centered on you accepting my invitation to journey with me and assist me in this quest. As you consider my pondering, will you share with me your further insights, comments and challenges on the subject.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

SEEKING EPIPHANY

   Is it possible to realize happiness every day? Perhaps ,  if I recognize what it is that makes me joyful?

   Thorton Wilder's play, "Our Town" is hauntingly real as Emily, still longing for the life she just left, wishes to revisit it one ordinary, unimportant day of  her life.  When she gets her wish, she realizes how much the living take for granted. Eventually the visit is too much for her to bear. "I didn't realize," she confesses mournfully, "all that was going on and we never noticed, ... Goodbye world ...  Momma.. Poppa...Goodbye to _________. (She lists many of the  little everyday thing that make her smile and brought her joy.) "Oh earth you are too wonderful for anybody to realize you."

   As my neice Stacy, stated, " I need Epiphany... .  "And I need to be seeking epiphany... " Occasions on which I can experience the Sacred in the Ordinary -- and come to the awakening, as Emily finally does. I can no longer afford to throw away even one important day by not noticing the wonder of it all. I must be willing to discover and then appreciate the authentic moments of happiness available to all of us every day.

   But, how can I conquer his lack of awareness?
       Recongnize the signs and symptons of neutral living?
          Begin healing this disease and disintegration of  premature death of  happiness?

   What makes me joyful?  LOVE!  I want growth in awareness ... understanding ... transformation ... integration ... wholeness.  Therefore, I am taking baby steps toward joyful living --now!  I'm acquiring a clue from Emily of  focusing awareness of  all the little everyday epiphany's that made her happy.

   And best of all ... I will be victorious! Not because of my efforts, but because of  Ephesians 1: 18,  "By having the eyes of (my) heart flooded with light, so that (I) can know and undersand the hope to which He has called (me)."

   This is a twist on the concept of seeing and speaks of our  "inward eye."  When it is enlightened we see what is ordinarily overlooked.  The "outward eye" gifts us with the vision to see what surrounds us. The "inward eye" (the Holy Spirit) brings wisdom and vision that really matters. How vast are the resources God's power open to those who have faith!

   Will you join me in this pilgrimage of weaving a pattern of wholeness? Your fellowship through your sharing  thoughts and comments will teach and bless me, plus add so much to my journey. We really do need each other.
                                                              Virgene

3 comments:

  1. Virgene, your writing and thoughts are so insightful and beautiful. The inward eye and the outward eye are both important in our journey. The outward eye gathers information to the inward eye to filter what the Holy Spirit want to bring to us for information and restoration for others or ourselves. There is happiness in the ordinary because the ordinary uncovers the extraordinary.
    Sheryl Myers

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much of my 'neutral living" is due to unthankfulness and an egotistical approach on how I think life should go. I, I, I!!! Me me me!! I am trying to be more thankful and more patient in my daily life. I find I get so upset when the smallest things don't go the way I think they should. For instance, my toddler acts like a wild monkey, why should he act like an adult? He's a toddler. So I am being thankful of him as he is and will be patient to watch him grow. One day I am sure I will long for the monkey antics..... one day )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments on "Epiphany". I have a foot note to share that helped me go to a greater appreciation of my Epiphany's all last year. I will try to post it this week. Hopefully it will be a blessing to you in your own pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete